The Tourist Information CentreNový Jičín
Religious tourism, pilgrimage

Religious tourism, pilgrimage

 

Nový Jičín

Tel.:  (+420) 731 625 671

Email: rkf.novyjicin@doo.cz

Web: www.fnj.cz

Church: Roman catholic, Nový Jičín parish

Availablility: available

This monumental Baroque building dating from 1729-1732 imitates the austere visage of Norse Jesuit churches. You can see the original Baroque furnishing inside. The main altar features statues of St. Peter and St. Paul by the Olomouc sculptor Ondřej Zahner and statues of St. Cyril and St. Methodius by his apprentice and fellow worker Jan Kamerreit. He´s also the author of the sculpted pulpit decorations. The altar cloth of the main altar was painted by Eliáš František Herbert. You shouldn´t miss the carved pews and confessional. The massive classicist organ was made by the Frýdek organist František Horčička.

 

OUR LADY OF SORROWS CHURCH (SPANISH CHAPEL)

Nový Jičín (across the road from the hospital)

Tel.: (+420) 737 089 262 (o. Michal)

Email: rkf.novyjicin@doo.cz

Web: www.fnj.cz

Church: Roman Catholic, Nový Jičín parish

Availability: Occasionally available

According to local tradition, the Spanish Chapel was built above the mass grave of the imperial garrison, which was treacherously killed in 1621 by the soldiers of the Protestant Margrave of Krnov. A large part of the imperial garrison was made up of Neapolitan soldiers (the Neapolitan Kingdom was part of the Spanish domain at the time) – which is how the common name of Spanish Chapel originated. Visitors to the chapel can admire the mechanical nativity scene at Christmas. 

 

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

anáčkovy sady, Nový Jičín

Tel.:  (+420) 731 625 671

Email: rkf.novyjicin@doo.cz

Web: www.fnj.cz

Church: Roman Catholic, Nový Jičín parish

Availability: Only the first weekend of September

 This originally gothic building which used to be called the “Moravian chapel” dates from the beginning of the 16th century. After the great fire of 1621, the church was rebuilt in the Renaissance style. This church held masses in Czech while the parish church held masses in German. Since then the Holy Trinity Church has been called “The Czech church”. The Catholic Church started using this chapel in 1644, after it was re-sanctified. You can find interesting decorations from the end of the 17th century inside. The grounds around the church served as a cemetery until 1879. It was then remade into a park and its last trace is the former ossuary from 1763.

 

PARISH CHURCH OF THE EXALTATION OF THE CROSS

Kunín

Mons. Dr. Alois PEROUTKA, ekx. administrator

Tel.:  (+420) 731 625 671

Email: rkf.novyjicin@doo.cz

Web: www.fnj.cz

Church: Roman Catholic, Nový Jičín Parish

Availability: occasionally available

The church was built right next to the baroque chateau. The cornerstone setting ceremony was held on the 27th of August 1810. The church was originally built without its towers, those were added to the building in 1863 and are 30 m tall. The chronicles say that their top is at the same level as the pavement on the Nový Jičín square. The statue of a saint that stands in front of the church on a tall pedestal is from the first half of the 18th century.

 

PARISH CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN

Šenov u Nového Jičína

P. Mgr. Bc. David Powiesník, ekx. administrator

Tel.:  (+420) 731 625 671

Email: rkf.novyjicin@doo.cz

Web: www.fnj.cz

Church: Roman Catholic, Nový Jičín parish

Availability: Occasionally available

The core of this church was built at the end of the 13th century on in the beginning of the 14th century in the gothic style. The oldest part of the building is the current presbytery. The church has one nave with a square tower in the frontage´s axis, inside refurbished around the middle of the 18th century (presbytery) and in 1811 (nave). Its original gothic appearance is preserved mainly in the four-story tower and sacristy. An old cemetery surrounds the church.

 

ST. NICHOLAS´ CHURCH

Žilina, Nový Jičín

Tel.:  (+420) 731 625 671

Email: rkf.novyjicin@doo.cz

Web: www.fnj.cz

Church: Roman Catholic, Nový Jičín parish

Availability: occasionally available

This Gothic church was built at the end of the 14th century in the place of an older, partially wooden building. The builders seem to be Vok IV of Kravaře and his wife Eliška of Šternberk. Their coat of arms, a coiled arrow of the Kravař lords and the Šternberk star can be found at the presbytery arches.

A wooden school was built by the church in 1795. It was brought down in the 19th century and replaced by a stone building in 1864, but that one has not survived until today either.

 

ST. MICHAEL´S CHAPEL

Bludovice, Nový Jičín

Tel.:  (+420) 731 625 671

Email: rkf.novyjicin@doo.cz

Web: www.fnj.cz

Church: Roman Catholic, Nový Jičín parish

Availability: not available

 The chapel was built in 1861 by the Nový Jičín builder Tomáš Chytil with plans by Ferdinand Neusser from Salzburg. It used to house a school for local children.

 

JEWISH SYNAGOGUE

Havlíčková 1110/12, Nový Jičín

Availability: not available

The synagogue was built during the first decade of the twentieth century according to plans by Ernst Lindner from Vienna. The structure was built by the local construction company, owned by Richard Klos. Like most Jewish monuments in Sudetes, this synagogue was a victim of the Crystal Night, from the 9th to the 10th of November 1938.  Fortunately, it was spared from being burned down thanks to its proximity to the local gasworks.

The building was used as a warehouse during the Second World War, and by the Czechoslovak Hussite Church after the war. It housed the district archive depository from 1967 and for this purpose the area of the hall was divided into three stories using an iron structure. The other adjoining rooms have flat ceilings. A memorial plaque containing a text in Hebrew, Czech and German was unveiled on the frontage of the synagogue in 1992.

 

 PLAGUE COLUMN ON MASARYK SQUARE

Masaryk Square, Nový Jičín

The Baroque column has a stone pedestal with statues of four saints: St. Jan of Nepomuk, St. Roch, St. Florián and St. Jan Sarkandr. The column supports a statue of Divine Mother Virgin Mary on a sandstone pillar topped off with a Corinthian head. An interesting element is the statue of the sleeping hermit of Palermo St. Rosalia, who dreams her eternal dream in her cave. Adjacent to the Plague column is the statue of the Dancing Farmers by Franz Barwig dating back to 1929, which became one of the quintessential symbols of Nový Jičín.

When the plague struck Nový Jičín in the 17th century, the corpses were traditionally brought to this place. There were hundreds of victims, so one couple, Mr and Mrs Stirznik, decided to build a “plague column” that was supposed to protect Nový Jičín and its citizens from further calamities. A text is etched into the column, it reads: To honour Mary, Mother of God, the late Mr Tomáš Stirznik and Mrs Judit Stirzniková built this monument on the 10th of July 1710”.
During the plague epidemic, people tried many dubious elixirs to get rid of the “black death”. The absolutely most important cure was hard liquor. People grew to like it so much that it was named “devil´s drink” and its distribution was prohibited. It is said that whoever showed even the slightest hints of infection would be cast out to the lazarettos that were built in the former cemetery, in today´s Janáček Park. Warning signs were placed all around Nový Jičín to ward off travellers.

 

STATUE OF ST. NICHOLAS

Masaryk Square, Nový Jičín

A replica of the statue of St. Nicholas, patron saint of merchants, children and Nový Jičín returned to the town square after more than 100 years. The author of this replica is the academic sculptor Jiří Finger. The attributes of this saint are apples and a bible. The St. Nicholas of Nový Jičín holds his bible in his left hand so that it leans over a reservoir with clear water, and the apples are scattered around it. Legend tells about three bags of gold coins that Nicholas threw into the open window of an indebted merchant, which saved his three daughters from slavery. These three bags are symbolized by the oversized bronze apples. St. Nicholas now watches over the peaceful life in Nový Jičín.

 

SCULPTURAL GROUP OF ST. ROCH AND ST. ŠEBESTIÁN

Loučka, Nový Jičín

This baroque sculptural group was built by the owner of the Starý Jičín domain Antonín free lord Zeno of Dannhausen after the plague epidemic ended in 1715. The two saints who protect from plague stand on top Tuscan pillars. Between the pillars is a pedestal with a plaque. In the middle of the pedestal is a coat of arms of the free lords Zeno of Dannhausen, next to it are symbols of Starý Jičín and Loučka.

One legend says that this monument was built to commemorate the fact that in the 18th century, when the entire Austria-Hungary including Nový Jičín was stricken by plague, Starý Jičín was spared. The people of Starý Jičín didn´t have tainted food, while Nový Jičín did, so they bought their supplies from Starý Jičín. This trade took place in between the two towns, on the spot where this monument was later built. There were jars with vinegar on the town´s border, where Nový Jičín merchants threw bags of money, because they believed that vinegar served as a good sanitizer. When the people of Starý Jičín arrived a bit later, they took the bags out of the vinegar, counted the money and threw some sacks of food over the Nový Jičín border in return. Both sides went home satisfied.

 

PARISH CHURCH OF ST. JAKUB THE ELDER

Libhošť 89, 742 57 Libhošť

Tel.: (+420) 739 245 957, (+420) 556 707 698

Email: dusanzelina@seznam.cz

 

CHURCH OF THE LORD´S HOLIEST HEART

160, 742 71 Hodslavice

Tel.: (+420) 731 625 810

Email: piotr.kowalski@seznam.cz

Roman Catholic church devoted to The Lord´s Holiest Heart. It is built in the Romanesque revival style. The cornerstone was laid on the 29th of June 1905. The first mass was held on the 30th of March 1907.

 

CHURCH OF JOHN THE BAPTIST

Životice u Nového Jičína

Tel.: (+420) 731 625 810

Email: piotr.kowalski@seznam.cz

In the place of the wooden church of St. John that dated back to 1451 and burnt down in 1898, a new brick church was built. A wooden altar dating from 1482 survived the fire and is now stored in the Moravian gallery in Brno. The stone church finished construction in 1902 and was devoted to John the Baptist.

 

ST. JIŘÍ´S CHURCH

Mořkov

Tel.: (+420) 739 244 464

Email: rkf.morkov@doo.cz

The St. Jiří church in Mořkov is a sacral object that was first mentioned in 1587. The main altar comes from 1667 and it was renewed in 1833. The church itself was rebuilt in its current form in 1878.

 

CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY´S ASSUMPTION

Veřovice 143, 742 73 Veřovice

Tel.: (+420) 608 369 183

Email: rkfverovice@seznam.cz

 

PARISH CHURCH OF ST. VÁCLAV

112, 742 31 Starý Jičín

Tel.: (+420) 556 752 576

Email: petrmaria.dokladal@cbox.cz

The southern Chapel of the Holy Cross used to be all there was to the parish church. It was expanded during the times of Karel of Žerotín (2nd half of the 16th century). More substantial changes happened in the baroque times. A new presbytery was built in 1715 – 1721, which was, along with other improvements, financed by Antonín Zeno of Dannhausen, the owner of the Starý Jičín dominion. Another major change in the interior happened in the 19th century, when the two wooden choir lofts were replaced by one stone loft.

 

VIRGIN MARY IN THE STONE

Spálov

Tel.: (+420) 730 523 540

E-mail: rkf.spalov@doo.cz

Web: www.farnostspalov.cz

Duch. správce: P. Mgr. Zdenko Vavro, zdenovavro@seznam.cz

 

PARISH CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY´S ASSUMPTION

742 33 Jeseník nad Odrou

Tel.: (+420) 737 714 115

Email: farnostjeseniknadodrou@seznam.cz

This church was built in the place of a wooden church that burnt down in 1710.  Rudolf Hrabě Witten had a brick presbytery built after the fire, and a nave was paid for by František Rheinold of Andlern in 1752. The church´s frontage has three axes. The middle axis has a shallow avant-corps with a three-story tower superstructure.

 

ST. ANNA´S CHAPEL

Jeseník nad Odrou

This brick chapel from 1851 is proof of the survival of Baroque architecture in the village environment of the 19th century.

 

STONE CROSS BY THE CHURCH

The stone cross from 1822, built by the local provenience, is proof that the baroque sculpting tradition survived well into the 19th century. The cross stands on a tall pedestal with a step, with volute wings and a cornice. On the face of the pedestal is an oval cartouche in the shape of an Empire-style sun. It replaced an old oil-on-tin painting of Our Lady of Sorrows. The back of the pedestal says “Renov 1931/1822”

 

PARISH CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY´S VISIT

Bernartice nad Odrou

Tel.: (+420) 556 752 576

The village’s dominant point, the late empire-style church of Virgin Mary´s Visit, got its current visage in 1837 and was probably baptised in the December of the same year. The original church was built in 1795 and baptised on the 8th of October 1797.

 

ST. NICHOLAS´S CHURCH

Hlavní 112, 742 47 Hladké Životice

Tel.: (+420) 775 162 177

Email: rkf.hladkezivotice@doo.cz

 

PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Komenského 167, 742 01 Suchdol nad Odrou

Tel.: (+420) 737 714 115

The Roman Catholic Parish Church of the Holy Trinity in Suchdol nad Odrou was built in 1605-1614. It replaced the older wooden Church of St. Kateřina. This late-renaissance building has a steep, roughly 27 m long shingle roof with two towers, one big and one small. The church had to be repaired at least four times because of a slew of natural disasters.

 

ST. BARTOLOMĚJ´S CHURCH

Štramberská, Kopřivnice

Tel.: (+420) 731 625 687

E-mail: rkf.koprivnice@doo.cz

Web: www.koprivnice.farnost.cz

This church is the gothic revival/ pseudo-gothic dominant of Kopřivnice. It was built in just 2 years (1893 – 1894) using more than 600 thousand bricks, and was baptised a year later in 1895. The beautiful interior is filled with tricks of light thanks to the numerous windows with colourful stained glass. A part of the equipment comes from the original, much older wooden church that used to stand next to the vogt’s house. To finance the church´s construction, the citizens of Kopřivnice gathered money among themselves, a part was given to the by the local bank and by the archbishop of Olomouc. The construction began in April 1893 and the church had a roof by the winter of that year. In front of the church stands the so-called “Kristián´s cross”. 

 

PIARISTIC MONASTERY

Lidická 101, 742 58 Příbor

 The Piarist gymnasium was founded by bishop Karel II of Lichtenstein on the 5th of February 1694, the building was under construction from 1694 to 1700. The Piarists remained in Příbor until 1870. The building housed the Czech Teacher Institute from 1875 to 1938, and presently it is used as a primary art school, museum and a library. The newly reconstructed former refectory is worth seeing. Original sgraffito was found during the reconstruction of the façade.

 

ST. VALENTINE´S CHURCH

Lidická, 742 58 Příbor

The Baroque Church of St. Valentine with a Renaissance tower stands in the place of a wooden church from 1596, which was paid for by Dorota Bremlová and her son Valentin. A silvered relief of a scene from the life of St. Valentine adorns the main altar. It seems to originate from the original wooden church. After the piarists came to Příbor, the church was gifted to them by the town. It was then rebuilt into its current appearance from 1760 to 1766 according to the plans by the dean of the piarist college – the local Heliodor Knauer. The church and the college were connected by a wooden tunnel on the first floor from 1768 to 1875. The church was surrounded by a piarist cemetery. The building underwent complete reconstruction in 1995 and 1996. It was re-opened on the 400th anniversary of the original church´s opening on the 20th of October 1996.

 

CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS

Místecká, 742 58 Příbor

 The Church of the Holy Cross was built in 1645 to replace the wooden church from 1516. It underwent several reconstructions during the 19th and 20th century, until it finally reached its current appearance. The main altar is a folk carving from 1750. In the middle stands a wooden cross with the supposedly life-sized body of Christ. The church used to be surrounded by an exclusive cemetery for the rich Příbor families. The last person was buried there in 1720. The church also houses the original sculptures of St. Roch and St. Florian, the copies of which are on the town square.

 

CHURCH OF ST. FRANTIŠEK SERAFÍNSKÝ

The Church of František Serafínský was built in 1622. The area around it was chosen to be a cemetery and was baptised in 1623. First people were buried there in 1720. Many important people were buried there, and the priests´ tomb is worth a look. People haven´t been buried around the church since the middle of 19th century and the place is now referred to as the “old cemetery”. The church underwent general repairs and was reopened on the 13th of November 1994.

 

PARISH CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY´S BIRTH

Stojanova 364, 742 58 Příbor

Tel.: (+420) 556 725 104

Email: rkf.pribor@doo.cz

The church dates from the first half of the 13th century. The originally wooden church was rebuilt in the gothic style, the later superstructures are Renaissance and Baroque. The arches in the presbytery are from 1560 and the 54 meter tower from 1577. The last bigger reconstruction happened between 2000 and 2005. The main altar features the Příbor Madonna from around 1420. Around the church are the remains of a cemetery with embrasures. A Way of the Cross from 1887 leads through this church. In the place of an old morgue stands the Chapel of Virgin Mary of Lurdy. Behind the presbytery stand statues of St. Jan of Nepomuk, St. Cyril and Methodius and St. Jan Sarkandr.

ST. JAN SARKANDR´S CHAPEL

Prchalov, Příbor

The chapel built in 1866 commemorates the saint who used to live in Příbor and attended the local parish school. Legend says that he dug a hole in the ground, which immediately filled with healing water.

 

CHURCH OF ST. JAN OF NEPOMUK

Štramberk

 

ST. KATEŘINA´S CHURCH

Tamovice, Štramberk

Tel.: (+420) 604 635 585. (+420) 604 548 586

Email: dominik.d@centrum.cz

Web: www.Svata-katerina.cz

This ancient church with a cemetery from the end of the 12th century stands in the abandoned settlement of Tamovice.

 

ST. MAXMILIÁN´S CHURCH

Hukvaldy 27

Tel.: (+420) 595 173 628, (+420) 731 625 685

Email: rkf.rychaltice@doo.cz

Roman Catholic parish Hukvaldy. St. Maxmilián´s Church can be found in the town centre. It was built in 1759 to honour the bishop and martyr St. Maxmilián. The building is characteristic thanks to its two altars – the main altar that honours St. Maxmilián and the side altar that honours the holy martyr St. Jan Sarkandr.

 

ST. ONDŘEJ´S CHAPEL

Hukvaldy 27

Tel.: (+420) 595 173 628, (+420) 731 625 685

Email: rkf.rychaltice@doo.cz

Roman Catholic parish Hukvaldy. It was built in 1602 and baptised to honour the St. apostle Ondřej (Andrew). The chapel is 20m long, 10m wide and has two altars – the main to honour St. Apostle Ondřej, the side altar to honour St. Barbora and St. Rosalie. You can see three statues in the centre of Hukvaldy – St. Jan Nepomucký and St. Florián opposite the Municipal bureau and a statue of Virgin Mary above the enclosure´s gate.

 

ST. NICHOLAS´ CHURCH

Rychaltice 3, Hukvaldy

Tel.: (+420) 731 625 685

Email: rkf.rychaltice@doo.cz

The St. Nicholas´ Church was built in Rychaltice in the place of the old wooden church from 1726 to 1729 as a small two-tower basilica. It was baptised to honour St. Nicholas on the 5th of August 1742. There are 4 niches in the presbytery that house 4 statues – St. Benedikt, St. Martin, St. Valentine and St. Blažej. 

 

FILIAL CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST

Horní, 744 01 Frenštát pod Radhoštěm

Tel.: (+420) 556 835 788

Email: rimkf.frenstat@centrum.cz

Oriented one-nave building with a square tower superstructure, covered with an onion-shaped dome with a lantern. The building was finished in 1640; the work on the tower began in 1717. It was then raised in 1780 and topped off with an onion-shaped dome. Side tribunes were added in 1769. Under the tribunes are chapels of Jesus´ Holiest Heart and Mary´s Immaculate Heart, which open into the nave with sandstone portals. Reconstructions from 1891 re-Gothicised the church, this is where the pseudo gothic equipment and a part of the interior come from.

The original church complex, built in the 1730s, encompassed the walls of the old cemetery with chapels and a baroque cross from 1753. The cemetery was in use from 1630 to 1852, but had to make way for new construction (latter half of the 1970s). The road next to the church was made wider and the cross had to be moved to the northern side of the tower.

The interior holds a musical loft, the painting Resurrection and Bethlehem by Josen Knězek. The painting collection 14 Stops of the Way of the Cross was given to the church by Albín Polášek.

Masses are held on Sundays at 8:45.

 

ST. MARTIN´S CHURCH

Frenštát pod Radhoštěm

This so-called “parish” or “lower“church was built in place of an older church that burned down in 1662. It was finished in 1680, but it was nearly immediately pillaged and burned down again. For some time, people used the Filial Church of St. John the Baptist as the parish. In 1740, two chapels were added to the repaired building – St. Barbora´s chapel and the chapel of St. John the Baptist.

The church´s pride is the hanging triptych called Madonnas of Wallachia by Adolf Liebscher (moved here from the Radhošť chapel) and the Wallachian Bethlehem by Jan Knebl.
The church houses the baptised St. Martin´s bell, which weighs 500 kg. It was built by Josef Tkadlec in Holenkov, and baptised by the Ostrava-Opava bishop Václav Lobkowitz. St. Martin´s (lower) church was bell-less since WWII. This new bell is devoted to St. Martin, who has been a symbol of love since the 4th century, when he shared his coat with a beggar. The bell bears the coat of arms of Frenštát, symbols of St. Martin, Latin text Deus caritas est “God is love” and a reminder that the village of Trojanovice helped pay for the bell.

The parish church of St. Martin was built in the baroque style. The main entrance is on the southern side of the tower. The interior is lit by the low half-circular windows in the presbytery and two identical windows in the side chapels. The equipment includes high-quality rococo equipment, or a part of a door from the 18th century with intact locks and ironwork. The partially glass main door with Art-Noveau decoration was added in the beginning of the 20th century.

 Masses are held on Sundays at 7:30.

 

LURDY CHAPEL OF ST. MARY

Frenštát pod Radhoštěm

The chapel in Horečky is built in the form of a stylised cave in the side of a hill above Frenštát. The chapel was built in 1902 by the wife of the factory owner Bumbala, as a sign of thanks for her miraculous recovery. A bell was gifted to it by Mr. Choleva in 1931. Fairs are traditionally held here every Pentecost. The chapel is open from the 1st of May to the middle of October.  

 

VIRGIN MARY´S PLAGUE COLUMN

Nám. Míru, Frenštát pod Radhoštěm

Virgin Mary´s plague column stands on the Náměstí míru (Peace square). The top of the column is occupied by an early baroque statue from 1686. The column has a simple unconventional form; it is an urban element of the sculptural decoration of the square. We´ll find it on the western side of the square. The pedestal that supports the column with Virgin Mary and Baby Jesus stands upon three steps. The statue of Mary stands on a base that is carried by four angels. The Madonna on the half-moon with attributes of a crown, a circle of stars and a sceptre carries Baby Jesus and holds an apple in her left hand. The halos of Mary and Jesus, the vase, rings and stripes of the column, the angel wings and the sceptre are gilded. This sandstone column with an original concept of angel thrones was build on the order of the local parson Jakub Valentin Palička, which is documented in the text on the backside of the pedestal. It is also there that we learn the date this monument was built – 6th of may 1692.

 

CHAPEL OF ST. CYRIL AND METODĚJ AND ST. VÁCLAV

Frenštát pod Radhoštěm

In 1945 a local citizen Alois Štefek said in his last will that he wants to finance the construction of a chapel or a belfry with his remaining money. The suitable plot was gifted by Josef Bordovský. The chapel was built by Josef Štefek, Alois´ elder brother. He made the plans for the building in the style of Wallachian folk architecture. The baptism was carried out on the 5th of May 1946 by the dean Medard Horák along with the chaplain Vladimír Tichý from Frenštát pod Radhoštěm. The belfry stands on stone foundations. The interior is divided into two halves, the front serves as the chapel and the back is a warehouse and a belfry. There are paintings of St. Cyril, St. Methodius and St Václav on the sides of the altar. The author is Josef Štefek. A small statue of Virgin Mary of Lurdy stands in the centre. The text on the frontage of the chapel symbolises its purpose: Humble belfry, dear sanctuary, born of love for one´s homeland, you white dove of the Radhošť groves, spread peace around you, be loved by everyone.  

 

CHAPEL OF ST. CYRIL AND ST. METHODIUS ON RADHOŠŤ

Trojanovice – Pustevny

The chapel sits atop the Pustevny Mountains – on Radhošť. It´s more than a century old. It was originally a stone building with white walls and a byzantine dome. Over the entrance hung this text: Love each other, Slavs, unite in your faith that was preached here by saints Cyril and Methodius.  Their statues (by Albín Polášek) stand outside of the chapel.

A wooden belfry with a shingle roof was added in 1924 during a general reconstruction – back then, the entire chapel was covered with impregnated shingles. The Chapel of St. Cyril and St. Methodius is one of the highest placed churches in the Czech Republic.

 

BELFY ON HOREČKY – THE GUARDIAN OF BESKIDS

Frenštát pod Radhoštěm

The belfry can be found on the border of Frenštát pod Radhoštěm and Trojanovice. This open building symbolises the citizens´ disagreement with coal-mining in the Beskids. The bell signed the death of the Frenštát mine. The construction was initiated by the citizens union Naše Beskydy (Our Beskids). The belfry´s modern design was created by Kamil Mrva. Next to a wooden canopy with a shingle coat stand three 8-meter larch beams that hold the bell up. The building follows the Wallachian folk tradition of simple wooden belfries. The bell comes from the Halenkov workshop. It weighs 30 kg. Other than the Naše Beskydy logo and the Frenštát and Trojanovice coats of arms, the bell is covered in the names of the 37 towns that united against coal mining in the Beskid Mountains. The bottom part is adorned with this quote from the Frenštát native Josef Kalus “Who shuns my mountains, shuns me too, who praises my mountains, praises me too.” The belfry´s construction was financed by villages, collectives, companies and individuals. To further support the construction, postcards were sold for 20 CZK and 50 CZK. 200 000 CZK were raised in total. The worth of the belfry was appraised to be roughly 500 000 CZK. The construction happened without contracts or contractors, the members of the Naše Beskydy collective and other volunteers spent more than 1000 hours building it themselves.

The first death bell tolled on the third anniversary of the Locking of the Wallachian Land for a Hundred years, on the 15th of May 2010 at 3 PM.
 

 

ST. MICHAEL´S CHURCH

Sedlnice

Tel.: (+420) 556 725 104

Email: rkf.pribor@doo.cz

This church replaced the original wooden one, after it became too old and too small to house all the churchgoers. The last mass in the old church was held on the 29th of August 1824 and two years later the new baroque church was built. The main altar was devoted to St. Michael. The statues in the side altars – statue of Jesus´ Holiest Heart and a statue of Virgin Mary´s heart – were added in 1907.
The church tower houses three bells, the biggest of them weighs roughly 800 kg and is devoted to St. Michael. The church´s windows are adorned with stained glass. In the walls close to the entrance are renaissance tombstones of Jan Sedlnický of Choltice and his spouse Johanka of Limberk (+1573). Both the tombstones come from the old church.

 

KOSTEL SV. PETRA A PAVLA

Bartošovice

Tel.: (+420) 734 398 173

Email: rkf.bartosovice@doo.cz

 The church was reconstructed in 1583. The 35m tall tower was finished in 1692 and renovated in 1900. The nave was demolished and rebuilt bigger in 1906; this bigger church was devoted to St. Ondřej, St. Peter and St. Paul. During the construction were preserved 6 tombstones of the owners of the Bartošovice domain and their family members – the oldest dates back to 1504. This church´s curiosity is the altar painting – it comes from the old church, but when it was moved, it had a model of the old demolished church painted on.

The nave is lit through six windows and decorated with paintings of the saints it´s devoted to - St. Petr on the left, St. Pavel on the right and the painting of St. Ondřej from the original church behind the altar. A tomb used to be located beneath the stone floor of the church, but it was buried under the rubble during the reconstruction.

 

CHURCH OF VIRGIN MARY´S VISIT

Hukovice

Tel.: )+420) 734 398 173

Email: rkf.bartosovice@doo.cz

The baroque church of Virgin Mary´s visit replaced the wooden filial church in 1765. In this roomy church with a tower are three altars. The main altar honours Virgin Mary´s. The church was baptised twice, once in October on the orders of the Emperor Josef II and for the second time on the Virgin Mary´s visit holiday. A new organ was added in 1826. The whole church was reconstructed in 1839.

 

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Studénka

Tel.: (+420) 556 400 759

Email: farnostistudenkabutovice@seznam.cz

 This baroque one-nave church with a displaced semi-circular presbytery replaced the older wooden church in 1781. The church´s frontage is a result of reconstructions that took place around the year 1830. The church stands on a high pedestal to make up for the slope of the terrain. The interior is decorated with precious altar paintings of the Fulnek painter J. G. Frommel from 1788 and 1789.

 

ST. ANNA´S CHAPEL

Studénka

In the neighbourhood of the Church of All Saints stands an interesting monument from the middle of the 19th century, St. Anna´s Chapel. The rather big rectangular chapel with a saddle-shaped roof was built in 1540, apparently in the place of an older chapel devoted to the same saint. It held regular masses while the church was being reconstructed, but it apparently fell into disrepair and was only renovated in 1852. The chapel has a smooth facade and the frontage topped off with a triangle gable is indented with pilaster strips.

 

CROSS

Studénka

It can be found in front of the cemetery wall by the Church of All Saints. The stone cross from 1835 is set on a tall pedestal and adorned with coiled wings.

 

PARISH CHURCH OF ST. BARTOLOMĚJ

Družstevní 93, 742 13 Studénka

This is a gothic revival church from 1880, built by Ignác Kloss from Nový Jičín to replace the original wooden church from the beginning of the 16th century. When the tower was being built, a crack was discovered, which temporarily halted the construction. After the church was built, the organ, bells and paintings from the old church were brought in. Then the old church could be demolished. The new church underwent general repairs from 1996 to 1998. The repairs were ensured by Mgr. Rudolf Kopecký.

 

CHAPEL OF THE HOLY CROSS

Studénka, Nová Horka

You can find this chapel by the Nová Horka Chateau. It´s a rectangular chapel that neighbours with the chateau on its southern side. According to the archives, this chapel was built in 1729 and expanded in 1775. The side facades are smooth with three axes and windows with half-circle segmental arches in profiled voussoir chambranles. The interior used to be beautifully decorated, but the murals were painted over in 1970.

You can find more points of interest around the Nová Horka Chateau, for example a statue of St. John of Nepomuk (stone sculpture from the second half of the 18th century), perimeter wall with an assortment of sculptures or the chateau park itself with a stone lookout terrace.

 

 

Photographic galleries

Obrázek č.1
Obrázek č.2
Obrázek č.3
Obrázek č.4
Obrázek č.5
Obrázek č.6

TIC Nový Jičín

Address

  • Masarykovo nám, 45/29
    Nový Jičín 74101
    Česká republika

Map

Počasí Nový Jičín - Slunečno.cz

Moravskoslezský kraj This project was co-financed by provision of 20,000 CZK from the budget of the Moravian-Silesian Region, support of TIC in the Moravian-Silesian Region for 2013.


Copyright 2019 © Informační centrum Nový Jičín. Autoři fotografií města jsou Ota Nepilý, Ladislav Šmitke, Lenka Malinová, Turistické informační centrum, webdesign RKIS.

Back up